How do you maintain dynamic material

Subject: How do you maintain dynamic material
From: "Denise Lystad" <LYSTAD -at- lynden -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:05:24 -0700

I have been asked to develop a process for writing and maintaining
information that our Helpdesk gathers and publishes online for both
themselves and our users. I would be very interested in knowing how
other organizations deal with this issue.

Situation - Our Helpdesk keeps track of frequently asked questions,
common problems, installation issues, etc. using a software program for
tracking problem calls. With this information, they prepare online
technical "cheat sheets" for the Helpdesk staff and simpler,
non-technical ones for our users. Our problem is keeping this
information up-to-date; no one wants ownership. What process do you use?

In short, between the Helpdesk and Documentation:

1. Who determines whether a new cheat sheet should be created?

2. Who makes sure the existing cheat sheets are kept up-to-date? How
often are they checked?

3. Who writes the cheat sheets?

4. Should authoring access to the cheat sheets be restricted?

I really appreciate any and all information you can give me. I will
summarize the suggestions and post them to the list if there is enough
interest.

Thanks.

Denise Lystad
Lynden Inc.