Re: The sky is starting to fall again

Subject: Re: The sky is starting to fall again
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:11:39 -0400

Bonnie Granat wrote:

Even a two-page PDF of a resume is huge; might MS be improving on
that?

Optimizing PDFs for size is a bit of a dark art.

The other day, my folks asked me to edit and patch-up a tri-fold brochure they had in MS Word 2000 format (not sure where it came from), so they could take it to a printshop. Two-page (front and back), letter size.

The Word file, which was a wreck and in some ways still is (didn't have time to start from scratch), came in at 1.1MB; a PDF made with OS X's native distiller weighed 5.3MB! Emailing it was out of the question and, since my folks are on dial-up, even downloading it from the web would be a chore.

But Acrobat6's "File -> Reduce File Size" cranked it down to 156KB (!) at Acrobat5+ compatibility. I have no idea what trade-offs it made, but the printed output was perfectly acceptable.

http://cambridgerockinghorse.com/brochures/

It would be nice if this process were more transparent and configurable -- and I need to figure out how to do it with GhostScript -- but that's quite a savings for a file with large embedded graphics.

Try Acrobat. Just make sure you can live with the print quality.

LQ

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com