Re: Just can't help myself

Subject: Re: Just can't help myself
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:11:47 -0700

This is the touchy-feely, "black magic" part of management,
figuring out how well a candidate's resume credentials translate
to real-world performance. If there's a reliable way to do it by
the numbers I haven't found it, and I've been recruiting and
managing writers for some 12+ years now. My own personal
choice for a selection criteria is face-to-face interviewing with
some seriously detailed discussions of someone's experience
and examples of past success that can be demonstrated
through contacts who can discuss them in-depth. And I've
still had more than a few experiences with people who came
highly recommended but still didn't seem to have the right
stuff. Certs might make some hiring managers more comfy,
but they won't do a thing for me.

Gene