Liability insurance

Subject: Liability insurance
From: Siliconwriter <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:44:51 -0700

Fellow scribes:

I've been a contractor/freelancer for a couple of years now, but for the first time I am being asked to provide a certificate showing that I am covered by liability insurance. This is apparently the much ballyhooed "errors and omissions" coverage I've read about.

What's the story on this? Do any of my fellow freelancers routinely carry this insurance?
How much does it cost you? (I've seen quotes of up to $4000 to carry $1 million in liability, which seems to be the standard request.)
Have you ever successfully negotiated your way out from under this requirement by adding an indemnification clause to your contract?

I think it is terribly unfair to hold the writer responsible for errors and omissions caused by developers' outright refusal to spend the time reviewing the documentation. I was hoping I could renegotiate my contract to add a clause which put the responsibility on the client for making sure all reviews were carried out in a timely manner. For one thing, I was planning to sign over all copyrights at the end of my contract, and I could concievably require that the client hand ME a quitclaim against all lawsuits for errors and omissions. Has anyone else ever done something like this?

Comments? This is bugging me.

"Be a scribe! Your body will be sleek, your hand will be soft. You are one who sits grandly in your house; your servants answer speedily; beer is poured copiously; all who see you rejoice in good cheer. Happy is the heart of him who writes; he is young each day."--Ptahhotep, 4500 BCE

Sarah Stegall munchkyn at munchkyn dot com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com