RE: watch your language! (or don't)

Subject: RE: watch your language! (or don't)
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:48:14 -0500

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
> Well, sort of. I do feel all that pressure, but have been
> feeling it all my
> life, not merely because I became a writer. When you grow up with
> people constantly asking you "how long have you been in this country?"
> and complimenting you on how good your English is "for a <insert
> ethnicity here>," the result is a nagging feeling that you have to
> constantly work on ensuring that your English is not merely as good
> as the average person's, but better.

Gene helped me realize my answer to diotima's question. Other people don't necessarily judge the way that I speak, but *I* do. I am conscious of every word that I write or speak, whether I'm at work or not, and I'm sure it's related to the household in which I grew up. Back when I was a kid, only grandparents were "allowed" to have accents, and I stood out because my parents were immigrants. I was always conscious of people's negative reactions to my parents' accents and speech, and I have to admit that I was morbidly embarrassed by it. After the kids finished telling me how little they could understand my mom or dad, they made fun of the way that I pronounced some words or ways that I screwed up sentence syntax. I learned to go out of my way to make sure that I spoke correctly because I wanted to fit in.

That could very well be why I eventually became a writer/editor. I have an internal grammarian going non-stop, and I can't turn it off any more than I could change my height or the color of my eyes. I love the English language because of how hard I had to work to become good at it, and I'm a stickler for what's considered "proper" because things that aren't "proper" are equivalent to fingernails running down a chalk board to me. If it's someone else's writing or speech, I usually shudder and move on, but if it's mine, I have to correct it.

Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com