RE: Liability insurance

Subject: RE: Liability insurance
From: "Barbara Philbrick" <caslon -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 17:38:08 -0400

Ask them specifically what they want insured and make sure it's E&O, then
check with your insurance broker. Often, clients will say "E&O" but they
really mean business liability. Huge cost difference. Also check the
Writer's Guild (someone correct me if I'm wrong or outdated) --- they used
to offer more reasonably priced E&O insurance.

I did have a client that wanted E&O a number of years ago. They were a good
client, so I decided to jump through the hoops (there were other silly
requirements as well; and then I got dumped by them in a "no contractor
edict" a few weeks later, but that's another story!) I built the cost of the
insurance into my rates for them (I figured the number of hours I typically
worked from them and spread the cost of the insurance through those hours to
come up with the rate increase. Don't just give the money away.

I suppose it puts us in a bad position, but I haven't found it has changed
my ways much. I always archive reviews and emails with the final project,
and there's a trail of email reminders that say, "review whatever it is and
get it back to me by blah-blah date." If I don't get a response, I make sure
I let everyone know that a) I can't release because I didn't get final
approval, or b) you said it's OK to release without final approval. I want
to have this information even if it just goes to a "he said, she said" match
(which, by the way, it never has in my 13 years in business), which is more
likely than a court case.

As far as keeping everything, I find it interesting that a large auditing
firm I do work for shreds and deletes everything except the final papers and
conclusions. I think it's on the belief that too much information will do
you more harm than good; if there is no proof, it's their word against
yours. It makes me think I should just scrap stuff instead of archiving, but
I can't bring myself to shred months of work. (Yes, still trying to part
with those 23 year old college class notes, too! A little bit at a time...)

Barb

Barbara J. Philbrick
330-995-0499

Caslon Services Inc.