Re: Do I want it?

Subject: Re: Do I want it?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:08:50 -0700

I think the optimum policy here would be to use the original tool
*if available,* and *if you have the skillset.* You can do a lot
more to an AutoCAD output file in ACAD than in Illustrator, but
in most tech writing applications, not enough to justify a $4000+
investment to buy and learn SW you don't have or know how to
use.

Also, I would side with Joe on creating the original images
using the maximum resolution and color depth. You can always
reduce these to create the final insertion graphic, and if someone
comes along later and wants to repurpose the image for an entirely
different end use, it's always better to have a higher quality image
in archive to work from. HD space is cheap compared to the
work required to recreate higher quality versions of existing content when some executive VP from Marketing comes along and wants to use an image you inserted into a manual at 320x240 in a full-page magazine ad; having that HQ version you can pull out like a rabbit from a hat when others around you are in a panic can be priceless.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>

I take a small bit of exception to several of your "always" statements:

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com