RE: LONG - A colloquial writing style?

Subject: RE: LONG - A colloquial writing style?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:30:17 -0700

Dear John,

I agree that technical and non-technical audiences are different, and
will want different things.

You're probably right that Dummies books deliberately choose their style
to be non-threatening. I accept that, though I'm not happy with it. I
don't like "dumbing down", but then again I'm not really the target
audience. I suppose I have not yet set aside a prejudice I have.

I'd like to point out that I've seen the colloquial style in books that
*are definitely* for technical people. I don't like it, and not because
I don't like funny stuff or colloquial writing. It's because it
interferes with my reading. I really sense a mental jarring that breaks
my concentration. Again, this is personal preference.

I also have to compliment Dummies books. I find that they're always
well-organized, easy to read, and well-edited. I've read some O'Reilly
books that do *not* fit that category. It's as if experts writing to
other experts are somehow allowed to be worse writers...

Joe