RE: LONG - A colloquial writing style?

Subject: RE: LONG - A colloquial writing style?
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:51:48 -0700

It all comes down to audience and information. I *hate* the cutesy
titles in Dummies books, because it interferes with my ability to get
information. I have to read the subtitles to figure out what they're
really talking about!

On the other hand, you should read the documentation for Mad Magazine's
Collected Issues CDs. The installation instructions, etc are the typical
sarcastic stuff from Mad. It's hilarious!

I remember that, when I worked in localization for HP, we were
criticized by the Europeans for having printer manuals that were too
colloquial. So clearly, different cultures have different demands.

I imagine that technical experts would respond very favorably to
documentation "easter eggs". Put something innocuous but funny in a
hidden part of your documentation, maybe in some obscure reference
topic.

joe