Re: Tech Whirler Dinner -- Thanks, Mom!

Subject: Re: Tech Whirler Dinner -- Thanks, Mom!
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 12:00:00 -0400

I wrote:

http://flickr.com/
Doesn't get any easier.

Lemme clear up some confusion. The link above is not to any photos of mine, rather to a cool and useful image-posting and cataloging service. You can get a lot of mileage out of Flickr's free account. Me, I've got plenty of excess Web capacity lying around and don't really need it. But I've tried Flickr and it's darned cool.

Check out how Ernie Hsiung has wired his site to thumbnail recent photos from his Flickr account. Uh-huh, Flickr exposes some handy outbound hooks.

http://littleyellowdifferent.com/

As your brain-dead institutional content filter may block Ernie's clever little site (go figure), let's have a word about such lame-o nonsense.

Domains are given names [mostly] to save humans from having to remember numeric IP addresses. Content filters key on domain names. You can in fact browse to most large sites by substituting the server IP address for the domain name. Hence, the following two URLs are the same.

http://flickr.com/photos/90916621 -at- N00/
http://69.90.111.100/photos/90916621 -at- N00/

[My daughters, and sister, when we checked-out "The Drapes", or whatever you call them. Howlingly cold that day. For the record, this contains a mis-quote: http://members.tripod.com/~awards5/storygates.html]

How might you determine the IP? From a Windows, OS X, or Linux command line (Windows: Start -> Run -> cmd [Enter]), give this command:

nslookup revectored.com

or use this:

http://www.network-tools.com/

Wait a minute. That's a bad domain example, because some domains share a server, thus share an IP address: browsing by IP won't work, because the server looks for a literal domain name in the URL to reckon which of its domains you actually want. In those cases, you *might* find use for an anonymizing proxy. If only you knew where to find one (http://re-vec-tored.com/anon/). We don't need no stinking dashes.

Easy on the traffic, kids, and check that policy manual. Some institutions discriminate against the invisible -- or would, if they could find them.

LQ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com