Re: LONG - A colloquial writing style?

Subject: Re: LONG - A colloquial writing style?
From: Kelley Greenman <writinglists -at- inkworkswell -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 12:02:35 -0400

I wrote technical use policy manuals this way. It was a real hoot to come up with fun and interesting copy. For some clients, we'd have the "not-so-straight-dope" (the formal, attorney-approved language) on one page, the fun, jazzy stuff on the other -- a CYA maneuver.

Going into this, I thought it was a really bad idea. I thought it condescended to users. But, for whatever reason, they liked it. Years ago, as a sales rep, I used to think people would prefer the $100/head a company spent on fancy dinners and boring speeches at company parties. But, people loved this stuff. And, personally, I'd rather see a raise than get coffee mugs, but in my informal surveys, people love this stuff. (Speaking of, I'm wondering what people consider their favorite office giveaways. Has a company ever given you a prize, a trinket, or promotional item you _really_ liked? Something unique? I had to put together a proposal this weekend and it set me to wondering what other people think. Offlists are best since it's OT. TIA.)

Anyway, the books were four-color, produced with the look and feel of a best-selling novel--complete with promotional copy on the back, starbursts on the front cover, jokey, company-insider acknowledgements in the forward, that sort of thing.

We worked hand-in-hand with an illustrator in the creative process. We'd come up with the copy and then brainstorm about ideas for the cartoons and illustrations. Invariably, about one-third of the way through, we'd hit upon what we called "mascots" who'd have different temperaments and would generally represent the company culture and/or industry-wide iconography.

With one client, the mascots we developed were actually caricatures of key figures in the company. The two running this particular project actually bickered a lot and it was a running company joke. So, we incorporated that relationship into the 'toonography. They were the lead characters and the supporting players were CEO, VPs, Department heads, etc. One particular artist's style was very complex, with plenty of 'extras' in the background. Either all the extras were caricatures of company figures or even us, the writers, project managers, etc. People loved it because they'd scour the faces to see who the illustrator had caricatured.

At another company, if we had to set up a situation where users make mistakes, we'd create caricatures of top-level execs (with their permission, of course.) In the narrative and accompanying illustration, it was a 'big cheese' who was making the mistake, not a caricature of a "typical user."

There is also some very good evidence that narratives appeal to some learning styles. People have a hard time remembering disembodied information. However, when it's encompassed in a narrative style of writing, it's more memorable. I call it didactic writing, in a vain attempt to reappropriate the phrase. A good example of it? Lou Quillo's writing.

What didactic writing does is stimulate the senses. Alliteration, synedoche, metonymy, metaphor, lyricism, cadence, etc.--all of these have long been used to evoke that sensory experience for the reader. Didactic writing encourages readers to slow down, enhancing that sensory experience.

Didactic writing uses techniques that make the reader stop and think. In technical writing, we usually consider that anathema to clear writing. However, the approach is an attempt to avoid cultivating passive readers who simply soak up the information and move on, to get the job done. There's notching wrong with that approach. Many situations call for it. Getting readers to stop and slow down is another approach to making information more memorable -- which is what you want to achieve with policies. Policies are things you want people to remember. Giving life to a procedure, by describing how a particular "persona" does something helps concretize what you're talking about. It gives the reader something to latch on to, identify with -- even if they _hate_ it or it irritates them, they are still, paradoxically enough, relating to it.

Not sure if this clarifies things, but that's my take on how the process worked with a few clients.

Kelley
--

When you need to communicate, Ink Works!
http://www.inkworkswell.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com