Re: LONG - A colloquial writing style?

Subject: Re: LONG - A colloquial writing style?
From: John Cook <john -dot- cook -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:38:55 -0500

On 5/10/05, Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm curious to hear if anyone's writing technical
> documentation using a less formal, more colloquial
> style. (Notice I did not say grammatically incorrect!)
>
> For example, we TWs typically write:
>
> Note: Do not press the Panic button unless you are
> encountering an actual emergency.
>
> Are any of you writing more like this:
>
> Pressing the Panic button will draw the attention of
> emergency responders and your company's CEO, so you
> might want to think twice before doing that.

Scot Hacker wrote the authoritative work on the BeOS, _The BeOS
Bible_, using just such a style, and it was an instant classic. Not
only a compusively readable work, it took potentially dry data and
infused the same sense of hip, engaged style that surrounded the OS
itself.

Granted, this was a for-print, for-sale tome, and not the sort of
in-house documentation that many of us do, but it seemed to capture
the perfect tone for that application, and I keep it on my shelf at
work as inspiration for how technical writing can be accurate and
lively in the right situation.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com