Re: FAQs - Good or bad?

Subject: Re: FAQs - Good or bad?
From: Lisa Wright <lisawright -at- mail -dot- utexas -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 14:18:06 -0500

Steven,
I am in FAQ hell at the moment and am digging out a 5000 page site one project at a time. In my department, where I am relatively new, the default synonym for "documentation" and "help" at some point became "FAQ," and thus the plague was unleashed. "Oh, put that in the FAQ." "We need a FAQ before we deploy this." There are even pages listing all of the FAQs that one could possibly want. I suspect that this happened over time for a variety of reasons. Some of this is a labeling problem (as was suggested when I posted about this early this year). Procedure titles were phrased as questions, for example. But a significant part of the problem is in its approach to writing and organizing information.

My personal mission is to eradicate the FAQ from the web site, from our vocabulary. The problem with them, if they are used as the sole means of documentation, is that FAQs are not purposeful information. They lump all information in at the same level of importance. They do not distinguish between different types of information: reference, procedural, conceptual. Even when categorized, they force the user to correctly guess the correct category where the information might be. I found an interesting contradiction in one set of FAQs that I rewrote. The questions were written in such a way that they fragmented related information into different topics, and it was really more helpful to have all the information in one place. At the same time, there was excessive repetition of some information when "questions" about the same subject were phrased slightly differently.

I am having success in my efforts. I haven't had anyone come back so far and request the return of the FAQ. I am hearing a lot of support--especially in the user support group--when I voice my personal mission. One developer expressed trepedations ("we like FAQs, we're very comfortable with them"), but once I show them what I've done (and note that I'm writing for a large audience of non-techies, not the developers), they have not expressed any concerns.

That said, there is, I think a certain place for an FAQ. I realize that much documentation in the developer and open source world is in FAQ form and it's a format developers are comfortable with. I like them for troubleshooting (though I tend to call that "Troubleshooting"). They are okay for addressing small, general issues, I think, like payment or upgrade pages. I simply don't think it is the end-all, be-all of technical documentation. Others may see more use for them.

So to answer your question, yes, I suspect that "FAQ" has become a general term for documentation (it's certainly happened here, as I said above). I would look at the content your internal customers are asking for and then see how you can structure it to be meaningful information in the context where they want to use it. That format could end up being an FAQ, but I won't bet on it.

My 2c,
Lisa
(So busy with the FAQs that I haven't had much time to post lately.)

Steven Brown wrote:

Hello all,

Working in a small company as the sole technical
writer, I often get requests from client reps, product
marketing, etc. specifically for frequently asked
questions (FAQs). When I hear that, I tend to start
twiching all over as if I were forced to watch a
day-long marathon of The Simple Life. Around here,
FAQs have become a catch-all term for documentation,
but I suspect there may be legitimate uses for them.

Would anyone be willing to share your success stories
(or horror stories) about how you've used FAQs. When
do you provide FAQs rather than more contextual
information or conceptual overviews?

Steven Brown
Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com