RE: Knowledge Base

Subject: RE: Knowledge Base
From: "Lisson, Kristin" <klisson -at- saleslogix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 15:43:34 -0700

<<Is anyone on the list responsible for creating and maintaining
knowledgebases? What type of software (if any) is used to create them>>

I maintained a Knowledge Base at one time using Author-It. The company I
worked for originally purchased the software with the sole intent of
producing online print documentation, but after seeing how Author-It uses its
own product to develop their online Knowledge Base, we were intrigued
(http://www.authorit.com/kc/index.mv).

Case in point--I submitted a question to Author-It support and after I
received an answer, the very next day I was on the Knowledge Base and saw my
question and answer posted for all to see. That type of turnaround time was
what our Support staff needed.

At that time, our Support staff was using a hodge-podge of Word and Excel
documents, coupled with an internally-developed ticket application for
logging customer support calls and e-mails. There was really no efficient way
for our Support staff to share questions and answers with each other--let
alone the customers. The reps would rather research a new question on their
own than take the time to search through a network of isolated documents to
see if someone else had already answered the question. With Author-It, we
were able to manage the content very easily as well as implement Search and
Index functionality into KB.

Author-It was a good tool for us because we were going to purchase it anyway
and it supports a multi-author environment. Depending on your budget, it may
or may not be a good choice for your company. I've also heard of Talisma, but
have never seen a demo.

Kristin Lisson
Curriculum Developer
Best Software