RE: Client Newsletter

Subject: RE: Client Newsletter
From: "Giordano, Connie" <connie -dot- giordano -at- twcable -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:59:28 -0400

Oh the joys of outlook web access, I'm attempting to post my full response once again!

Lyda,

Your clarification was very enlightening. Now my question is, why haven't you approached the kbase moderator to figure out how to make better use of it? It's not your "domain" but if your role is to communicate technical information to end users, then you certainly are a stakeholder. Instead of waiting to be approached, I'd get out there and approach them-SME's, developers, moderators, whoever it takes to figure out better ways to deliver relevant information to people who've got a job to do, and have to use your product to do it.

The kbase, if maintained well, should be a great source of articles and information for the newsletter. Integrate the two! Reference the kbase in the newsletter--and in your help system. Research how to track usage of all three, and evolve them as you find out more about the issues users are having.... then communicate that back to developers and product management for future development. I have both external and internal customers--engineers, management, sales people, field personnel, end users, and finding better ways to integrate communications, requires information flow in many directions.

To tie several of these threads together--TWs are often in a terrific position to faciltate information sharing among many stakeholders. I am not merely a writer of manuals, or a user advocate, or despairing of the "great divide". I am a professional in an organization, and my job is to make sure relevant, useful and accurate knowledge is shared among the people who need it. If someone says "newsletter", I find out why that solution is being advocated and see if there are other alternatives to consider. Same with training, demos, user manuals, reference articles, sales presentations and online help.

Who controls it is important, but not nearly as important as whether it's the right, appropriate or necessary thing to do.

MTC

Connie Giordano
Knowledge Management Supervisor
Time Warner Cable