Re: From technical writing to business analysis?

Subject: Re: From technical writing to business analysis?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:10:55 -0400

If it feels right, go for it. Natural progression is moot. If it feels
right, go for it.

Yes, I know TWs who have become BAs. I also know a set lighting
technician who is now a programming technology researcher for a CTO
office.

It all comes down to what you enjoy doing and what you are satisfied
with. Your past experience and possibly financial investment in TW
will not be wasted... We have an advantage in that our skills are
highly transferable to an extremely wide variety of jobs.

Sounds like you enjoy the BA stuff. Answer this:

At the end of the day, what gives you more personal satisfaction?
Wrapping up a user guide for publishing, or wrapping up the research
on needs analysis for your next project?

On 5/16/05, Mehta, Sona <mehtas -at- visa -dot- com> wrote:

> HI All,
> All this talk about developers and technical authors has made me think about my role here, in my current position I see myself slowly drifting from being a technical author (e.g. writing user manual and online help for a system) to being a business analyst (e.g. requirements gathering, gap analysis, helping with use cases etc). I was wondering if there are many of you out there who have had a similar transition. Do you think this is a natural progression? I was hoping to get some pros and cons of such a move.
> I must admit I do enjoy doing analysis stuff.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com