Re: Another Newbie question about procedures

Subject: Re: Another Newbie question about procedures
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:18:32 -0700 (PDT)

> Just reread my previous message & I'd like to clarify something.
> Like others have mentioned, when writing procedural topics,
> sometimes I'll include information about buttons and features not
> directly related to the procedure. I may include this info in the
> beginning of the topic or as notes between numbered steps. I add
> this info when I believe that it is not obvious to the user (UI
> is unclear, inexperienced user, etc).

The way I read this..You're writing about how to use a dialog to send
a report to a printer. However, there is a button that has nothing to
do with the process of printing that report....maybe a security
optrion. You'll address it?

I don't think that I would. If I was the reader, I'd wonder what I
missed in your instruction that made me use it since you did point it
out?

Isn't this comparable to (though maybe a little extreme), you tell
them to select a dropdown menu. While you are telling them to select
X off the dropdown menu, you also explain all 10 other options on the
menu even though it has nothing to do with the task?

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com