Re: Techwriter Justification

Subject: Re: Techwriter Justification
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 11:19:27 -0700 (PDT)

> There is no workable ratio. Rather, you take the number of scoped
> hours for the work, divide it by the total number of work hours for
> the project, and see what number results.

Bill...you hit on it.

We keep getting the questions...how many writers to developers.

In reality, the way to do it is map out the project(s) using
something like MS Project (or name yer poison), get from that the
number of hours needed, divide as needed...etc.

Example: In March, I planned out my current deliverable. The plan
took me a full week to develop. Based on it, I forcast the completion
date the 20th of May.

Three days from that date and I'm in review and redrawing
graphics...I'll deliver within a week of the projection...about 120
pages of new content and 900 pages of reference.

THIS is what anyone who is loking to forcast ratios should be
doing....plan it out and follow the plan. If the plan says you need X
hours and you only have Y hours, divide one by the other and that
tells you how many writers you need. Cold hard numbers.

Not pulling numbers out of the air or using numbers that may work for
someone you don't know, at a speed different from you, doing
something completely different, under different conditions for
different audiences.

What...your project (not you, Bill, but the general reader) is
different and you cannot plan it?

Wrong...just wrong. The real reason is you just don't have the skill,
understanding, or discipline.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

?Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone
amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built
the Titanic.? - Dave Barry

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com