How evil is copy-and-paste?

Subject: How evil is copy-and-paste?
From: Geoff Hart <geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 16:09:45 -0400

Craig Hadden reports: <<Recently I updated a user guide in which the original author thought it was a really smart idea to use copy-and-paste to duplicate a _lot_ of content (instead of using cross-references, would you believe).>>

Depending on the length of the material, this can be a very good strategy. Cross-references are wonderful for what they do, but what they do isn't always pretty: they take the reader out of the present task (reading one thing or following a procedure) and force them to interrupt that task to do another thing (flip through the book or follow a trail of hyperlinks).

As a rule of thumb, with up-front acknowledgment that this is a very subjective call, it's better to repeat material when it's relatively short (a few sentences or numbered steps) and better to cross-reference with more difficult or complex procedures. Another decision criterion might be that you should cross-reference when the topic is only related to the topic and is "only" useful to know rather than being an essential part of the current topic. If you can't complete the procedure without flipping pages or following a link, a cross-reference probably isn't the best choice.

Arguably, a well-designed single-sourcing solution would entirely eliminate the cross-references and embed the key content in each procedure where it appears, possibly as an optional link or secondary window for online stuff or as a sidebar for printed material. That eliminates a major annoyance: interrupting the procedure to go elsewhere for information.

<<Then today I read a 10-sentence software change-request in which literally _half_ of the sentences each began with the same 21 words! ("The amount of any Deduction processed through payroll with a Type X should be added to the figure in the...")>>

This suggest the need for either a bulleted list or a heading: the repeated information becomes the introductory sentence or heading that provides context for all the following sentences. The general principle: Why repeat something 5 times when you can repeat it once, just as effectively?

<<I'm beginning to think of various rules of thumb about copy-and-paste, such as: * Paste no more than 3 words at a time.>>

See above re. headings and bulleted lists where the information appears very close together. But this particular guideline can be a problem if certain phrases are essential, and will be repeated many times in a document but not in proximity. For example, what about a phrase such as "Open the Format menu, select Styles, then..."? For some types of document, you might need to repeat this dozens of times. In others, it would be more effective to cross-reference to the page or topic on Styles:

<<* If you paste the same item more than, say, twice, think again about what you're doing.>>

This one makes considerable sense. If you understand what you're trying to accomplish and why, you can decide whether the text should be repeated or cross-referenced.

<<As Geoff Hart put it so eloquently, "the thing to remember about "rules of thumb" is that thumbs bend when necessary".>>

I'd forgotten this one, but in hindsight, it's one of those rare phrases that I enjoy as much now as I did when I coined it (if indeed I wasn't paraphrasing someone else... "there's nothing new under the sun", as they say).

www.geoff-hart.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com