Contracting practices question?

Subject: Contracting practices question?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:31:44 -0400

Rebecca Stevenson wonders: <<Is it generally considered normal to have more than one client at any given time, or do they expect they will have you full-time, all the time?>>

I have something like 200 clients, but then I'm primarily editing short jobs (scientific journal articles, technical reports, an occasional book). Sometimes everyone decides they want a piece of my time simultaneously, and things get a bit crazy. <shudder>

The more general answer is that it depends on the nature and quantity of the work you're doing. In my lesser experience with techwhirling (plus more than 10 years participating in techwr-l), documentation projects tend to expand chaotically to devour every waking hour, leaving no time for anything else. When that's the case, then obviously you can't handle multiple clients simultaneously.

If you're fortunate to have clients who understand the notion of process control and planning, you may be able to easily handle two or more clients simultaneously, particularly if you're documenting small products. Clients who are making it up as they go will drive you crazy at the best of times, and doubly so if you're trying to juggle other work at the same time.

The only way to know how much you can handle is to have very clear specifications and a firm understanding that if someone doesn't meet their schedule, your clients who are meeting their schedule take priority. At some point, you also find that you're beginning to confuse three or more products, and that's a recipe for disaster. If you can't keep the products clear in your head, you're probably overcommitted.

<<I'm currently working for two clients, but it seems to have been largely a matter of luck that their schedules worked out that way. Now there's a new possibility on the horizon.>>

Never let your mental health depend on "luck". It's appropriate to inform your clients, both old and new, what your work situation is like, so you and they can plan accordingly. So long as they're willing to accept your schedule and your multiple commitments, there's no reason you can't work for all three clients. But that will require clear, ongoing communication, and careful juggling of schedules--in short, planning, not luck.

<<... everyone who contacts me frames the job in terms of weeks/months, which makes me wonder what their expectations are. If I can get the job done in less time than they thought, that's good... right?>>

Peter Kent published a wonderful book called "Making money in technical writing" that is full of practical advice. He's moved on to other projects, but you can probably find this book used, somewhere on the Web. His notion is that once you learn your own productivity and the vagaries of project estimation, you can earn a much higher salary by bidding on the job (based on your desired hourly rate) and getting the work done quickly. This approach isn't always realistic, but if you can make it work for you, then getting the job done quick is great for both you and the client: you earn more per hour, have time for more clients, and have more satisfied clients.

The only downside (as I've discovered with a few clients) is that people begin to expect miracles if you teach them to expect miracles. As a result, planning tends to go out the window because "Geoff has never let us down yet". That leads to many unpleasant surprises, and lots of fancy footwork on my part. I keep saying that some day I'll have to miss a ridiculous deadline, just to keep them honest. <g>

<<Or do people generally want three months of work, whatever that turns out to include?>>

The ones who don't know how to plan (the majority, it seems) will be more comfortable booking you for 3 months solid. Those who have a clue may be willing to consider more flexibility. You'll have to ask each individual client to learn their needs and expectations.

www.geoff-hart.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com