RE: [HOWTO] Web Domain Registration service recommendation?

Subject: RE: [HOWTO] Web Domain Registration service recommendation?
From: "Rob Domaschuk" <rdomaschuk -at- printable -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:55:35 -0500

Lou had some wonderful information, and I want to add just a couple of points, along with my own recommendation.

First, some of the less expensive places that will register your name do not transfer ownership of the domain name to you. So, make sure that YOU own the domain name. This is important because if you decide to switch hosting companies, you wouldn't be able to transfer your domain name. Or, if you can, there'll be a huge fee!

Second, as long as everything is running fine, amost any hosting company will be okay. It's those times that you run into issues that has companies stand out.

For my wife's interior decorating company, I went with iPowerWeb (www.ipowerweb.com) and have been really happy with them - so much so, that I routinely recommend them and I get absolutely no credit for doing so!

I had some issues with a PERL script (for a few online forms) and their customer service is fantastic. Also, they forbid any "mature" content. I point this out not from any moral or ethical perspective, but some firewalls and spam blockers are so "type A" that if your legitimate TW emails come from the same host as an adult sight (yes, I know I didn't spell it correctly - trying to avoid the filters), then it could be blocked.

They have an excellent and broad set of marketing tools (setting up email lists for newsletters, etc.)

Just my two cents

Rob Domaschuk,
Training and Communications Developer
Printable Technologies, Inc. * 312.853.8337

www.Printable.com

"The compelling force of all times has
been the force of originality and creation."
- Ansel Adams

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com