Re: Contractor pay (was: Tech Writers as Hourly Employees?!)

Subject: Re: Contractor pay (was: Tech Writers as Hourly Employees?!)
From: Bryan Sherman <bsherm -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 13:06:41 -0400

I would think it helps educate folks. The biggest mistake someone can
make is comparing a Full-time salary hourly rate to a contracting rate
straight up. Even if you take your hourly rate (lets say $40), and
assume 2 weeks "vacation", so 50 weeks by 40 hours for 2000 total
hours, the 80K a year does not equal an 80K salaried position.

Folks don't think about the 1/2 of social security (in the states)
that the employer pays in a w2 scenario, so that is what, 7.5% right
there. Then there is no paid sick days and no benefits including a
401K matching plan.

So, I would think it helps folks to better determine if the offer from
the company is more attractive than a higher contracting rate.

But on the discussion of contracting versus salaried, I think this
whole topic is firmly in the "It Depends" category. There are so many
more factors that can come into play, some that effect one person and
not another

On 5/23/05, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com> wrote:

> How does the brochure help recruit and retain the best candidates for
> the job?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com