Contracting practices question

Subject: Contracting practices question
From: rjstevenson -at- sprynet -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:40:33 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Question for all you experienced contractors out there: Is it generally considered normal to have more than one client at any given time, or do they expect they will have you full-time, all the time?

I'm currently working for two clients, but it seems to have been largely a matter of luck that their schedules worked out that way. Now there's a new possibility on the horizon.

I'm new at this and leery of failing to pursue anything that might turn into work, but I also don't want to overcommit. Even though this is project-based stuff when you get down to it, everyone who contacts me frames the job in terms of weeks/months, which makes me wonder what their expectations are. If I can get the job done in less time than they thought, that's good... right? Or do people generally want three months of work, whatever that turns out to include?

Does anyone have any experience that would shed some light on this? Gratefully yours,

Rebecca Stevenson
Freelance Technical Writer
508-725-0937
AIM: RJSWriter