Re: Fwd: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation

Subject: Re: Fwd: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation
From: "Chris Christner" <cchris -at- toptechwriter -dot- us>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 10:41:55 -0600

Hi AP,

Your experience illustrates why certification won't improve things for
tech writers. A worker's importance to a company--whether he's an
executive, engineer, accountant, or tech writer--is directly proportional
to his potential for harming the company's profits. Bad engineering or
executive management has sunk many companies, as have poor accounting and
lawyering, which in theory is why these disciplines have such stringent
degree programs. But when was the last time a company failed from bad
technical writing? I'm sure somebody on the list can provide examples, yet
they're bound to be as rare as free roaming nanobots.

Yes it's important that products be documented, but technical writers
themselves aren't required to do the writing, hence the recurring "I can
have my engineers or secretaries write the manuals," meanwhile the
converse "I'll have our technical writer design the device" never occurs!
So we're not essential to the process.

If we're excellent at our jobs, the work may stand out enough to make us
valuable beyond the norm, but anything less than excellent is hard for the
layman to distinguish from mediocre. So if I were you, rather than try to
convince others how important it is to improve the doc set, I'd take the
initiative to whip the manuals into shape as schedules permit. That would
help pass the time and hone your skills, and even though it may not get
you kudos, you'll have the self satisfaction that comes from doing your
job in a professional manner.

--Chris
TopTechWriter.US
http://www.toptechwriter.us
Award-winning technical writing and illustration services.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com