Re: Fwd: Follow-up: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation

Subject: Re: Fwd: Follow-up: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation
From: "Tom Johnson" <tjohnson -at- freeway -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:53:38 -0400

Anonymous,

What Dick wrote could be close to the truth. Another possibility could
be departments don't want financial responsibility for your work.
They'd rather you worked on someone else's project. I'd stick to the
assigned work and charge ahead making it the best you can do. Get
someone to see the difference and maybe they'll start asking you to do
more.

As for yourself: sometimes a person just needs to get some momentum
going, even if it isn't in the right direction. It's easier to steer a
moving sailboat than one that's dead in the water. Steer a course and
be ready for a new tack when the wind changes.

Helms a'lee (I never tried to spell that before, but I've said it many
times)

Tom

Anonymous wrote:
In the interim, I will revise some of the existing
documents (I've done this already, but will try again)
and explain in great detail my changes, why I made
these changes (supported by source material), and also
try to lend editing/writing services to other
departments. I'm not sure how well this will go over
since I'm new to the company and our time is logged
against particular projects that we are assigned to
work on. However, I've concluded that in the long run,
consulting is the way for me to go. I think I will
personally be more fulfilled.

--
Tom Johnson
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com