Re: Follow-up: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation

Subject: Re: Follow-up: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 23:18:43 -0500

Katherine,

No, I don't think it's a problem of "everyone thinks he's a writer" --
unless you may be referring to Anon. The existing management
apparently *know* they are not writers, or they would not have hired
one to improve their documentation.

However, from the way in which the individual posed the situation, it
appears he or she was seeking these non-writer managers to make
writerly decisions--when what they appear to have wanted is to be rid
of the minutiae while getting improved docs.

Anyone who is a "senior" tech writer--regardless of length of
experience--must have skills in self-reliance and the ability to work
with SMEs and others successfully. Someone who, by contrast, wants to
have every little thing approved in advance is simply not up to the
task and should still be classed as a "junior" tech writer not quite
ready to play well with adults without supervision.

Sorry to be so blunt, and I certainly would not if this individual had
not chosen to be completely anonymous.

The most useful advice for this individual is either to step up to the
plate and accept the responsibility of being a tech pubs department of
one--or find another, less taxing position with truly senior-level
writers and quite possibly a tech pubs manager to work with.

A solo writer must be prepared to produce with minimal hand-holding.
If you are hired as a professional, it is important to act like a
professional--in the same sense as a doctor, lawyer, professional
engineer, etc.-- and not simply as a technically competent craftsman.
Since this person is in a department of one, a part of the
responsibility lies in management of the writing process. Rather than
decry the situation wherein small details aren't being decided by
non-writers, take charge of the documents and make them *shine*! That,
in the end, will be what is expected and will reflect well upon the
entire organization.

This makes the management look very smart in hiring a tech writer to
take things in hand and relieve them of the daily decision-making they
were not prepared for and did not want to begin with, instead of
underscoring their lack of competence in making publications
decisions.

Otherwise, if the many details are to be handed off to others, the
writer hired to include them in his/her portfolio responsibilities
should, by rights, offer to forego that portion of the salary that
represents these decisions.

At the same time, of course, any comments or actions that may be seen
by others as a disparagement either personally or professinally should
be anathema. To do well in an organization, it is important to foster
teamwork and to be approachable. With time, others will begin to seek
out the writer for help--with luck, that will happen after the
document suite is in good enough shape to afford the time.

By quietly taking charge and doing the work, there should be much less
time available for woolgathering and a much higher job satisfaction.
As you show the management that docs are just one more thing they
don't have to worry about, your status in the organization will
improve...and you will be creating some fabulous pieces for your
portfolio. As the sole writer, it should be obvious that the result is
*your* work and no one else's.

David

On 5/26/05, Katherine Hinchey <khinchey -at- houston -dot- rr -dot- com> wrote:
> David, you once said that a frequent problem tech writers face is
> "everyone thinks he's a writer." Could this be part of Anon's problem,
> instead of him not being qualified to work solo?

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com