Re: Follow-up: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation

Subject: Re: Follow-up: Acceptance of Mediocre Documentation
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:25:55 -0500

What I fail to understand in this thread is a simple question:

Why, as the only tech writer, is it necessary to get so many approvals
for changes that are within the writer's province?

When presented with a "mediocre" document that is to be upgraded, why
not simply make the changes and deliver the document in a more logical
and more effective state?

I would *not* present details of implementations, but instead give
them a summary of your plans and regular progress reports, with
approvals by chapter, product, or major division as they approach a
polished status.

Going into what is to a non-writer a somewhat excruciating detail can
be embarrassing and is usually non-productive, in my experience.
Instead, do the work and give them a polished result and you are a
hero--and you have not increased any feelings of embarrassment by
emphasizing in detail the defects of the prior work.

In fact, one approach I have used successfully is to emphasize any
positives inherent in the old docs that you are upgrading. In some
cases, for example, it may be appropriate to say something like "I
appreciate the work that was spent to make the documentation accurate
and to cover the issues important to the users. Let's see if we can't
provide the polish to make it even more accessible and to make the
most of the obvious work that went into the whole effort."

After five years of tech writing, surely it should be time to dispense
with the expected hand-holding about every niggling detail? Quietly
take charge of those areas of your responsibility without expecting
non-writers and non-editors to either write or edit. Show them a
sufficiently polished product that they can see the benefits without
having to determine in advance that which they are unequipped to
understand or appreciate fully. If they were, after all, they wouldn't
have hired *you.*

Finally, the only consulting or contracting gig you might qualify for
would be to work as part of a team managed by others. A lone
contractor must be much more self-directed than it appears you are
ready for.

At this point, therefore, if you cannot become comfortable in your
present situation, I suggest you find a position in a multi-writer
department.

David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com