Re: general topic of spelling

Subject: Re: general topic of spelling
From: "Phillip St. James" <saint0 -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 17:12:42 -0700

Great question, James, but I wonder whether you referring to human generated typos or spell checker mistakes, or both.

I find mis-used hyphenation to be a prevalent problem. :-)

We seem to have lost articles and the "ly" suffix for adverbs (e.g., Apple's Think Different campaign).

Another part of spelling errors is related to the evolution and enculturation of spoken US English by hip, slang, patois, "media speak", and newcomers from many other places. That is, because successfully communicating is more important than complying with rigor or tradition, we are losing "proper" or traditional constructions in favor of various short cuts and other creative misusages (is a hyphen appropriate in misusages for reading purposes?).

Because language doesn't belong solely to those who write it, it's a bewildering tech pubs task at times to write both to be quickly and broadly understood in today's diverse environment and to be respected by language purists. When I think of marketing communication, I sometimes wonder where these folks stand in terms of language rigor and rules...

I look forward to seeing what comes up on this thread... Yes, I will try to construct sentences and ideas that are cogent, concise, and immediately understandable.

-phillip
Menlo Park, CA

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com