RE: Bad Office Organization

Subject: RE: Bad Office Organization
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:46:41 -0400

Kelly offered...

> Well, I think I can hear people rolling their eyes on this one, but I
> have recommended this book in the past, and I am going to do it one
> more time.
>
> Dealing with People You can't Stand - Bringing out the Best in People
> at their Worst might be an avenue you may want to explore. Two of the
> personality traits listed in the book might apply to your PhD friends:
> The Know-it-All and The Think-They-Know-it-All.
>
> The book gives strategies on how to turn around negative conversations
> into your favor and make it the other person feel good about.
> --

And if you need to "sell" your management that the course they've
embarked on is really a bad idea, there's a more seminal work that has
generally been rehashed by every other "be more persuasive and get along
better with others" book published during the last century or so, and I
am here to tell you the original still works wonders:

Dale Carnegie's classic "How to Win Friends and Influence People"

People think of it as a book for salesmen or managers, but it is
effective whether the relationship is business or personal and whether
the person with whom you're dealing is an equal, a subordinate or an
authority figure.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com