RE: New TECHWR-L Poll - ADD

Subject: RE: New TECHWR-L Poll - ADD
From: "Stephen Arrants" <steve -at- microbrightfield -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:11:56 -0400

If the "expert" said that HIPAA prohibited EVERYONE without exception
from disclosing medical information on another person, yes, the expert
was wrong. See if you can get your money back.

It's like this. I can say "Michelle, did you know that Biff has ADD and
eczema?" and I can't be prosecuted under HIPAA. But if I work for his
doctor and and say the same thing, Biff can own my boat after going to
court...

> After HIPAA was implemented I could no longer get insurance
> information on my custodial children from my ex-husband's
> insurance company. But the children couldn't authorize my
> access, my ex had to do it.

Right -- because the insurance company is bound by HIPAA regulations
regarding disclosure. But as legal custodian, you shouldn't have been
barred from getting that information. When HIPAA regulations hit, there
was a lot of confusion. Consultants for one HMO in California set up
the permissions incorrectly. Nurses could not schedule appointments for
regular patients, and the HMOs in-house pharmacy couldn't see a
patient's record when filling a prescription.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com