RE: symbolize roles

Subject: RE: symbolize roles
From: mlist -at- safenet-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:30:16 -0400

Katherine Hinchey [mailto:khinchey -at- houston -dot- rr -dot- com]
demanded to know:

[...]
> >However, since the commands or sub-commands that any one role can see
> >are exactly the same as those commands when seen and used by a higher
> >role, I want to re-use the same help topics/pages where possible.
>
> >Rather than try to work out some scheme where each role gets a
> >physically different WebHelp, I'd like them all to use the same help,
> >but I'd provide page-top icons or section-highlighting icons
> >to let them
> >know if a page applies to their role. If it's just informative stuff
> >(Concepts) I'd leave out the icons. But for anything operational,
> >there'd be one, two or three icons at the top of the page,
> >symbolizing
> >who should bother reading.
>
> >Suggestions? Opinions that it's a bad idea in general (give reasons)?

> I can understand why you want to do this (it's easier), but
> why is this better for your users?

Well... I can see your point if I was trying to cut corners on
a requirement...

But, this is purely my idea for added value, so that users
can see immediately, without reading further, that a command
is not for them. Some customers won't bother with the separation
of roles (they'll just have one person being "admin", and to
heck with those lesser roles). Others may have the same people
logging in as one or another role, just to avoid the clutter
of extra commands, or for company procedural reasons,
or they may be writing scripts for one reason or another.

In some cases, a PC would have a session open to the appliance,
always logged in as monitor, but when necessary, an "operator"
or "admin" could log in to fix/maintain some aspect of the
system. Having the visual flag in the help might remind
them to be sure to log out, leaving only "monitor" capability
on that connection.

The CLI has some sparse syntax "help", but my WebHelp expands
on it and provides examples and links to other Help, etc.

As I said, the interface to the product is command-line, so
it's not like I can determine the role they have logged in
and present selective help. Perhaps when we move into the
twentieth century and incorporate a GUI... :-).

Kevin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com