Re: Disadvantages of angle brackets? (take II)

Subject: Re: Disadvantages of angle brackets? (take II)
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 09:53:28 -0500

Geoff,

I'm glad we agree upon the utility of screenshots of complex menu
selections for the absolute newbie.

When I said "..the first few times" I was by no means suggesting that
anyone consults an extensive user guide sequentially--in fact, that
they do not was one of my points.

A "quick start" guide is precisely the place where this use can be
most helpful. When it is keyed to parts of the more comprehensive
manual, it is even better. (Strange how often they are completely
disparate documents, with no links from the quickstart to more
detailed explanations in the main manual!)

The other point is that not all user documentation is aimed at the
computer-phobics and the utter neophytes. Quite a bit of it is
destined for a higher level of prior experience...and for the more
experienced, what people seem to believe is "terse" can be highly
effective.

As always, the first and most signal requirement is that we write for
the audience. When it comes to angle brackets, a "getting started"
document can deal with the "confusing" angle brackets quite nicely.

David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com