Re: Disadvantages of angle brackets? (take II)

Subject: Re: Disadvantages of angle brackets? (take II)
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:41:17 -0400

Geoff Hart wrote:

... I'm by no means saying that inexperienced readers are unable to figure this out, but rather that you're adding one more task to their cumulative cognitive load. Since you don't know the "tipping point" at which that load becomes so high they'll abandon your documentation, it's better to avoid that load in the first place.

If someone's reading the docs, something's already tipped. We can't spare the user all obligation to learn a few new things. In fact, he's saying he will.

Minimize the cognitive load, yes, but use the moment of communion to frame the information and its conventions.

If we've determined that leaner is better (and we might not in some cases), now's the time to introduce the ways we're going to save the user from dense, repetitive paragraphs. When we say 'this', it means this; when we say 'that', it means the other. Now here's the information.

We can't avoid all cognitive load. Supposing otherwise is values-laden and, more importantly, squanders a rare opportunity. To do what he wants, the user must follow a trail. Since you've asked, dear user, this is how we mark our trails.

If what follows is just as lean, nobody will get lost.

LQ

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com