Re: Customizable user guide?

Subject: Re: Customizable user guide?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 23:47:03 -0500

There are various tools that can create a .pdf on the fly. If the
oroginal sections for all possible, installable features were done in
XML, and if the installation routine could create a file with the
actual features installed, why couldn't that be sent to your server
via the Internet to have the relevant sections assembled automatically
into a document, exported as .pdf, and sent via email attachment to
the customer?

That would keep the entire process under your control--because if
customers get into the source documents, you might be subject to legal
problems later should they screw it up and something not work as
advertised.

Doing it that way would also leave you with a record of what a given
customer has actually installed--very good information to have upon
updates to the application for a customized approach to database
marketing of the upgrades by your marketing and sales departments.

The other method, related to this, would be to have the installation
routine pull together the relevant sections from a full implementation
on the installation media, again to be made available as a finished
document. This, too, should be workable using available components.

David

On 7/5/05, Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> I believe I'd use two tools in Acrobat 7. Baseline would be a document
> delivered in a .PDF created with Acrobat 7, and with Commenting Enabled.
> Which allows the customers/users to add their own comments,
> annotations, graphics, files, etc. to the .pdf. with (free) Reader 7.
> Including adding comments that say "We don't use this feature."

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com