Re: Results of STC India 2005 Salary Survey - reasons

Subject: Re: Results of STC India 2005 Salary Survey - reasons
From: Rachna Ganguli <rachna -dot- ganguli -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 23:05:57 +0530

GRIN!

Bill, you know what they (whoever they are!) said about statistics -
"Torture numbers, and they'll confess to anything." and then "Facts
are stubborn things, but statistics are more pliable."

Donno who said this but it just stays in my head cause it is so true.

NOT to take away anything from the survey, it did take people , esp.
Paresh and gang, a lot of time and effort to do that. Just that it is
an intrinsic flaw in the system of "polling" itself. They cannot get
people to participate or not cook up stuff!

In my office, there is an admin team which is the butt of all jokes
and coffee-machine tale swapping. It got really bad, finally
management got a survey, and that team got a
standing-ovation-type-of-feedback!!!

Mike: You said it! Companies want to hire you after someone else has
trained you and this even the training companies know. So, they pick
up graduates, train them, beat them up into shape, some stay, some
runaway, pay them less in the beginning and then match the market.

I love this term called Market Correction when you are suddenly paid
more cause other companies just might poach you :-)

And the mathematical conversion doesn't really clarify anything! In
the US, I spent a max of USD 150 on my weekly outings to the grocery
store (includes the Indian grocery store) but here I spend INR 1000
on a week's supplies.

There I got a gallon of gas (3.7 liters) for 2 USD (a long time ago!)
and here I get a liter for INR 42 (nearly 1 USD for 1/4 the amount!)
But that's got more to do with the lack of clout we have over OPEC.

A gallon of 2% milk was ~2 USD, here a liter is INR 15 :-)

So, the saga continues . . .

Outsourcing is a reality cause of the USD vs INR rate, the day that
changes we will have another twist in the tale.

Rachna
A voice from India

On 7/6/05, Mike O. <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Thank you Rachna, for your detailed and convincing explanation! Some of
> it sounds a lot like the US tech industry in the 90s, when TWs could
> get hired to write user guides with little more than an English degree,
> and salaries kept going up and up.
>
> Your mention of apprenticeship was interesting too. In the US, it seems
> companies only want to hire you after somebody else has paid to train
> you.
>
> It would be interesting to do this kind of analysis based on some more
> rigorous data - but that would be a full-time job!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com