Re: Referring to an unnamed button with three dots

Subject: Re: Referring to an unnamed button with three dots
From: Rachna Ganguli <rachna -dot- ganguli -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 20:41:29 +0530

>Category Filter Settings <Text Field> <...> <- button with three
>dots.

>* Ask programmer to give it a name (ie. 'Filter...')

>What would you do?

I would ask the programmer to change them. In an ideal world this
strategy might work but ....in my world there are code freezes,
deadlines, it-was-always-like-this reasons ....

I have used workarounds for this:

In one of the applications I was documenting, there were a series of
command buttons all in one column, and next to each one was (you
guessed it!) a button with an ellipse, and some other things! No tool
tip on mouse over.

What I did was, explain the "..." once and name it Browse (hereafter
referred to as .... of course in TW parlance!) describe what it does
and that's it.

Another place, the "..." would show tool tips, I used the tool tips
as button names.

Although no one reacted to the help one way or the other, I am curious to know
- why is this "..." button so common?
- if it is so common does it required such in-depth explaining?

Rachna

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com