Re: Computer System

Subject: Re: Computer System
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:54:44 -0500

Windows, unfortunately, is sufficiently complex that security problems
are going to be endemic so long as the "everything and the kitchen
sink" design persists.

There are ways to secure it in the hands of a knowledgeable user, but
nothing can secure any operating system used by someone who is not
relatively careful.

>From the fact that this was a Trojan, and the fact that our colleague
Jonathan was doing his own work on his system, it appears he hasn't
the benefits of a decent IT department. Thus, it is more important
that he develop a good understanding of how to avoid these things.

Regarding browsers and mail clients...Mozilla is falling behind the
combination of Firefox and Thunderbird--they represent the direction
the Mozilla Foundation is headed, and development of the integrated
suite is rapidly falling behind.

Even though Firefox is much better than IE, it does have occasional
vulnerabilities discovered (witness the release of 1.0.5 today--for a
security patch!).

When I am on my Windows machine, the only time that IE starts is to do
a Microssoft Windows Update--and since they are discontinuing support
for Windows 2,000, that will soon be a thing of the past for this one.

However, I have found Linux to be faster--even on the same
hardware--and far better regarding security. Most distributions can
use a hardening script that teaches a great deal about security and
what it takes to achieve it--you learn as you harden your own machine.
This is called Bastille: http://www.bastille-linux.org/

David

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com