Re: Computer System

Subject: Re: Computer System
From: Jefro <jefro -at- jefro -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:58:25 -0700

Jumping on the bandwagon---the problems aren't all from Microsoft, at least not from the standpoint of the operating system. Macs are less vulnerable, but there are many technical trade-offs, and the problem is actually quite easy to solve for free without switching platforms.
1. Keep Windows up to date.
2. Don't download anything from an unreliable source. If you do, keep your virus checker turned on and up to date.

3. Get away from using Outlook and Internet Explorer. Mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org) has more features, is easier to use, and by default is virus-proof because it simply doesn't run programs automatically the way Outlook does. I have found NOT ONE bit of malware in the past six years, simply from avoiding Outlook and IE and being careful about downloads. Put it this way---I am Mac-savvy enough to know what's there and what isn't, and I work for a company that provides a Linux product (not for desktops). I still prefer an XP machine with Frame.

Also, I believe this is very much on topic for this list. It has very much do with the tools we use for technical writing. Virus-laden systems can introduce bugs into client networks and cause all kinds of havoc.

Jonathan Gravois wrote:

Having spent from 12:20 to now (10:00) cleaning my XPPro
machine of a Trojan virus, I am wondering of the feasibility of Technical
Writing on the Macintosh OS X platform. Except for FrameMaker, the major
programs are available on that platform (Word, Excel, InDesign, DreamWeaver,
Flash, etc.). What do you guys in the field think about the feasibility?
Frustrated with Micro$oft's Security Standards,

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com