Re: Computer System

Subject: Re: Computer System
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:47:40 -0500 (CDT)

> Frame 7.x is the only true reason to pause, but the TW industry isn't
> sitting still, as Lou mentioned. At the day jobs I've had, I've always
> been required to use Windows, so I can't say that I've tested a Mac for
> full-time TW purposes. But it does do everything else I can
> throw at it (graphics, music, web design, email, scripting.) My bet is
> that if you can output to PDF from whatever writing program you prefer,
> you're home free.
>
> ~Mike

FM 7.0 was produced for the Mac and runs in Classic mode under OS X. As
for whether the Mac can work under full-time TW processes, yes it can. I
did for 10 years. My associates who worked with Windows machines
experienced every problem that the company had with its Windows assoicated
boxes. When our servers went down, I and the graphics artist were the only
ones who could be productive, we had access to the printers over the LAN.
As long as we were within a segment of the LAN with our printers we could
function. As well as exchange files with each other. The Windows boxes
were dead in the water.

Anyone remember Michelangelo virus? It hit our company two years in a row
with similar results. The Windows systems were paralyzed. The Mac systems
were functioning.

As long as Windows systems remain prime targets, and the OS remains as
vulnerable as it is, then the same operational problems remain.

Additionally, the support that most IT departments provide to maintain a
Windows box is minimal. They usually respond to a system that functions
poorly by reinstalling a disk image on the hard drive. This is time
consuming, inefficient, and risks data loss.

The Mac system allows repair of the OS by different means that are more
efficient.

The problems remain the same. The advantages between the two have not
changed. The abilities remain roughly the same. The arguments for one or
the other remain unchanged.

Cost analysis still indicates that Macs are more cost efficient in terms
of manpower to support, training, user satisfaction, and operating
environment efficiency.

The real and paramount issue why Macs aren't used, is because IT
departments resist them. supporting Macs would reduce their headcount,
and, to qoute and modify an old saying, "No one ever got fired for buying
Microsoft." It's a low risk proposition and doesn't change the equation of
the game.

Scott

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com