RE: labeled information in bold; labels themselves, not in bold

Subject: RE: labeled information in bold; labels themselves, not in bold
From: "Claire Conant" <Claire -dot- Conant -at- Digeo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:14:29 -0700

Is this a training document? That might make a difference in your
customer's request. If so, it might make it easier for the student to
quickly see what they need to enter in the computer.

However, for procedural documentation, my thoughts are that the labels
should be bold, since they are unchanging. It also matches the
convention many use for bolding user input items in procedural text.

Claire Conant
Technical Editor
Digeo, Inc.
www.digeo.com

>>my client seems to prefer the reverse for their web application:
>>information in bold, labels not in bold. i've only ever seen one
instance >>(a crm application) in which information was presented this
way, and i >>must say its effect on me was comparable to seeing the word
"green" >>written in blue.
>>anyone have any arguments for or against one way or the other?
>>-diotima

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com