RE: Certification for Technical Writers?

Subject: RE: Certification for Technical Writers?
From: "Dan Goldstein" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 16:59:13 -0400

On the other hand, consider what Ken Nuckols wrote to TECHWR-L last month:

"A few years ago when I was teaching software courses I wanted to get certified as quickly as possible in certain products (the Microsoft Office Suite, to be precise). The certification was not a requirement for the job but it was one of the good ways to earn a bonus. I went to the local Borders and purchased the MS-published MOUS Certification prep books, pored over them from cover to cover doing all the exercises, and then went to a testing center and paid the $50 or so for each exam to 'prove' I was an expert. Total cost for each certification was about $35 -- $50 for each book and $50 for each exam. Since the exams were standardized and industry recognized, I could legitimately claim 'expert' certification."

For $100, Ken received not only a bonus, but also a résumé item that might help land certain jobs. I've never been asked for certification in an interview, but in Ken's case, it was money well spent.

This message contains confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing, copying, electronic storing or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify us, by replying to the sender, and delete the original message immediately thereafter. Thank you.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com