Re: Oh so many wikis

Subject: Re: Oh so many wikis
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:06:29 -0500

Brian,

In my opinion, your prospective use would be extremely difficult in
practice even if you could do as you wish and put the Frame docs
directly into the wiki.

When others can edit the source, it becomes very difficult to
determine what has changed and what hasn't, especially in such a large
document as most tech manuals.

There are products for which a wiki may be an outstanding
solution--but, IMHO, these are largely internal IT projects that are
not exposed externally.

All of this said, if you still want to do this I'd suggest looking at
Mif2Go for converting your docs into another format for dropping into
a wiki. http://www.omsys.com/dcl/omni.htm

That is obviously not a direct import, but it is reasonably cheap and
quite fast. The output is far superior to Frame's own export
capability to several of the included formats.

David

On 7/19/05, Brian Shaw <bshaw -at- activplant -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for some advice, and knowing the depth of knowledge and
> understanding on this list I thought this would be a good place to
> start. I've been researching the use of a wiki for obtaining feedback
> for our documentation, but it would seem from what I can determine that
> most seem to require users to create the content in the wiki.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com