Re: technical term consistency

Subject: Re: technical term consistency
From: mearro -at- msn -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:45:08 -0600

Gretchen:

I agree with David - I don't see anything inconsistent with your examples.
The information seems clear and the differences aren't jarring. But if you
want to keep a similar structure for all your sentences, there are a few
things you can do. First, decide how you want to present the information
or what rules you want to follow. For example, you could have other
writers or editors follow these rules:

When using technical terms:
Follow the first use of a term with the definition in parenthesis.
"I see a mermaid (a woman with a fishtail who swims in the ocean) in the
distance."

When adding "that is" info to a sentence:
Follow with i.e. and text in parenthesis.
"I see many mermaids (i.e., more than 100) in the distance."

When adding "for example" info to a sentence:
Follow with e.g. and text in parenthesis.
"I see dozens of strange creatures (e.g., mermaids, mermen, and dragons)
in the distance."

HTH

Mary

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com