Re: What do people work from - more

Subject: Re: What do people work from - more
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:47:46 -0400

On 7/29/05, Giordano, Connie <connie -dot- giordano -at- twcable -dot- com> wrote:

> I offer to help write the specs and design the product... When you're
> part of the design team, there's less chance of surprises. Get in at
> the beginning, and you offer a lot more to the product development
> effort. Makes user support and documentation a whole lot easier too...

Yes - the most successful documentation projects that I've worked on,
I was in from the beginning (requirements gathering, scope defintion,
and specifications.) I would offer the further observation that if
you're doing some of the "heavy lifting" for the developers early on
in terms of helping them spec out the system, it cements a positive
relationship with them when you need SME help later in the process!

It is not always possible to do this, of course, but it is very much
my preferred situation.

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://enrevanche.blogspot.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com