Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss

Subject: Re: Certification--a new concept. Discuss
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:52:01 -0400

> > Weird, I never considered there'd be any other perspective on this.
>
> It is weird..I keep thinking the same thing.

I can see both sides. I used to be on Posada's side of the issue and I
used to work my tail off and do all sorts of extra professional
development outside of work.

I still do, but within reason. I've cur my work week down to 40-45
hours a week, and that time includes professional development.

I don't invest in my own future with regard to professional
development anymore. Instead, I prove my value to my employer and my
employer invests in my professional development so they can continue
to see my value increase.

Not all employers value their employees, though, and I can see how
people like John would reason themselves into blowing well-earned
vacation time on professional development, as I used to do the same
thing.

But, I personally don't believe it should be that way.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com