Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Why discuss certification?

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Why discuss certification?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:50:21 -0400

> Why do you think people want to discuss a tech writing certification? A
> desire to:
>
> * Establish recognized minimum competency

Wow, I think this is the first time I ever voted something other than
"other/none of the above"!!!

What do I win??? ;-)

I think that's the best fit for me. I'm still on the fence with regard
to certification, but I'm open to the idea of it so long as it makes
sense. So far I think the discussions have been either way too general
else way too specific to be appropriate (nodding to the fact that I
was a part of the discussions).

I think "minimal competency" is the best we can hope for with
"general" certification. More specific certification in specific areas
of techcomm can demand and thus represent more advanced skills and
experience.

--
Bill Swallow
42.8162,-73.7736