Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Why discuss certification?

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Why discuss certification?
From: Mitchell Maltenfort <mmalten -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:48:12 -0400

Some anonymous cynic once said "Being a writer is like being a hooker.
You'd better find out if you're good at it before you begin charging
for it."

The joke is on-topic because in the ideal case, certification is
evidence of ability. I repeat, the _ideal_ case: there are inept
drivers, doctors, lawyers, etc. But a driver can point to a clean
driving record, doctors can point to survival rates, lawyers to cases
won or settled, teachers to students graduating or scoring well on
SAT's, and so on. An engineer or a programmer can point to how well
their solution works, how long it took to create, and whether it came
in under budget.

So what criteria can a tech writer use to convince a potential employer?

Writing samples? I could be passing someone else's samples off as my
own. Work done professionally for other people may not be mine to use
for samples.

A writing test from the employer? I've previously had to work on an
outdated problem (i.e., no money at stake) or an artificial problem to
show my skills. I think it's a fair way to go, but it forces the
employer to provide the test.

Are there other ideas out there?
--
I can answer any question.