Re: Experience vs. expertise (was: ...Why discuss certification?)

Subject: Re: Experience vs. expertise (was: ...Why discuss certification?)
From: Mitchell Maltenfort <mmalten -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:44:24 -0400

OK, so we stipulate the Catch-22 effect, and further that Age and
Treachery historically overcome Youth and Beauty. The problem is still
lasting long enough to become Aged and Treacherous.

References and experience come with time, but 'rep' can be established
with a good first impression. This works back to the question of how
a damngood youngun can impress a potential employer. Let's assume
that I already have a winning smile, superb manners and a wholesome
disposition -- these are of course lies, but we're all friends here.

The unanswered, and perhaps unanswerable, question is how to impress
someone I never met before that I'm a quality wordsmith worth the
hire, and how do I make that impression within a presumably short
window of attention?

I could write a knock-the-socks-off cover letter (in theory).
Unfortunately, technical communications are usually informative and/or
educational documents which do not require knock-the-socks-off
writing. As I understand it, knock-the-socks-off writing is often
specifically discouraged in favor of impersonal, transparent
documentation.

If I was reading a manual on How to Deploy a Widget, I wouldn't want
to finish thinking "That was good writing!" I would want to finish
thinking "I know how to deploy a widget." Note the punctuation:
period instead of exclamation point. I might also think "Gee, that
manual was easy to read," period or exclamation point, but "easy to
read" is not necessarily a property of an attention-getting cover
letter.

Still fishing for advice...

--
I can answer any question.