Re: Ok...A show of hands

Subject: Re: Ok...A show of hands
From: Rachel Rawlings <rachel -at- scrivovivo -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:01:44 -0400

Pepe Le Pew wrote:

How many people knew this?

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt

2. TLDs for Testing, & Documentation Examples

It's a new one to me, though I've used false top level domains for examples before, using either ".test" or".foo". To my reading, ".foo" is simply more tld-like than ".example" or ".invalid" and will still be noticed by any reader as false. As for ".localhost", the authors of the RFC note correctly that it should not be used in any way other than to access services on the same machine. Though I've yet to see anyone use localhost to build a domain (e.g. apache.localhost or cvs.localhost) as opposed to referring to the local port (e.g. localhost:80), it is possible. (And probably more trouble than it's worth.)

There was also a courseware project a few years ago for which I used "Hart-Knox Community College," and gave it the domain hartknox.edu in all the coding samples. Given the tight control over the .edu TLD, I felt safe that no accredited institution would be created with that name and the domain would remain fictional.

The important thing is to have domains in your examples or source code which will not cause problems to an existing--or future--system should people cut and paste your examples. Legal issues concerning corporate marks identity would also be a secondary consideration, as well as the more remote possibility of a third party setting up a domain specifically to trap users who use the sample code without making proper changes themselves..

Rachel Rawlings
ScrivoVivo

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com