Re: Job Titles

Subject: Re: Job Titles
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:21:03 -0500 (CDT)

HR has a real problem when it comes to organization and titles. I always
liked Grand Poohbah. It says as much as Technology Value Writer does.
There should be at least 3 levels if not 4. Those would be the
non-supervisory/management positions. Management positions should be
separate and, depending on the number of people in the group would be
either 1 or 2 levels. The workers need the granularity to differentiate
skills and longevity. The titles don't make much difference until you are
in management. Number them if you like.I would add to Mike's Senior Tech
Writer I and Senior Tech Writer II.

Scott Turner

> Nelson, Julie wrote:
>>
>>currently don't have a job title for anyone past senior level, so I'd be
>>curious to to hear suggestions for entry level thru advanced level
>>technical/documentation job writing titles. We're responsible for
>>online documentation, web development for the retailer web site, a
>>little bit of marketing for the retail computer system & paper docs.
>
> Tech Writer I
> Tech Writer II
> Senior Tech Writer
> Documentation Manager
>
> I worked at another place where it was just Technical Writer and then
> the next level up was Q&A Manager. With my limited experience, the
> hierarchies are pretty flat...
>
> ~Mike

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com